Lets have a look on this two Software and compare which one is the best.
GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.
GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.
Windows XP,Vista,7-support: yes
Mac support: Yes
Linux support: Yes
What we lack in GIMP
- The images saved cannot be scaled over 100 % of their original size as GIMP extends support only for raster images.
- GIMP does not extend support for CMYK channels. And hence it is not very useful for people working on images meant for pre-press and printing formats.
- GIMP does not support non-destructive layer effects like bevels, drop shadows, and glows like Photoshop does.
- Not as easy to use and powerful as Photoshop.
The Adobe Photoshop family of products is the ultimate playground for bringing out the best in your digital images and transforming them into anything you can imagine.
Its is the world best and most used image editing software with tons of feature.
Windows XP,Vista,7-support: Yes
Mac support: Yes.
Linux support: No.
What we lack in Adobe Photoshop:
- It is not open source, one has to pay for it.
- .XCD and other more formates are not supported.
- You can open a layered image as a flat file without merging the layers in GIMP directly from the 'File' menu, which is not possible inPhotoshop CS4. Even after you open a file without layers in GIMP, the original properties are intact, unless you edit and save the file.
- No community support like Gimp.
Latest Version: Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Photoshop is best in my opinion , it is easy to use,more powerful and you can get tons of free e-books(tutorial) on it whereas GIMP is ok, developing fast by open source community and one day it will be a serious threat to photoshop till than there is lots of hard work to GIMP community.